Having been asked a few times about this by customers, thought it would make a good blog post.
The basic 'trick' is to:
1. Buy a Skype Number
2. Divert your home mobile to the Skype Number
3. Have Skype forward those incoming Skype Number calls to your local overseas mobile number
What you pay is any call forwarding charges that maybe applied from your home Telco, and what ever the cost is for Skype to call your mobile number in that overseas country.
In my case that is;
- Telstra call forward charge: Included. Charged at the same rate of a normal call from my mobile to the local Skype Number. In my case call rate of a mobile to local landline, is covered by the plan I'm on.
- Skype to US mobile number: $0.03/minute
1. Buy a Skype number here:
I purchased an Australian ('03' Victorian prefixed number)- for AUD$24
2. Forward your mobile to your Skype number:
Turn on Call Forward - all calls
Enter: **21* (phone number to forward calls to, including area code) *10#
Then press the call/send button.
To turn off for all calls:
Enter: ##21**10# then press call/send
There is a Whirlpool forum thread with a bit more info here
3. Forward your Skype Number to your local mobile number
Hopefully that helps- it handy little travel trick, and it has worked perfectly for me this trip!
Written by Peter Cain
Peter Cain is the Founder and CEO of dataGO.co, a company committed to making it easier and cheaper to stay connected whilst travelling. You can find him on Twitter and Google+. You can also find dataGO on Facebook, Twitter,LinkedIn, and Google+ for all the latest info on local and roaming SIMs and data hotspots.